We do take credit card payments over the phone. Please call 334-963-4351

Welcome to the Town of Pine Hill Water Department Webpage

One day older than the State of Alabama (Dec. 1, 1819), Wilcox County was created by an act of the Territorial Legislature from portions of Dallas and Monroe Counties.

Archaeological evidence indicates that this is the area that was occupied by aboriginal inhabitants in both pre-historic and historic periods, and that the early Indian towns had substantial communications with the first Europeans that came to the area.  However, by the end of the Creek Wars in 1814, white settlements had begun to replace the communities of the red men on the banks of the Alabama River.

The county was named for Lieutenant Joseph M. Wilcox.  Wilcox was a graduate in 1812 of the United States Military Academy (West Point).  He was commissioned First Lieutenant in the 3rd Infantry and immediately sent to the South.

In 1814 Colonel Russell marched his regiment and two companies of volunteers from Fort Claiborne in what is now Monroe County, to the Cahaba River to drive the Indians from that territory.  He dispatched a barge laden with provisions up the Alabama River with orders to meet him on the Cahaba.  Not finding the barge when he arrived there he sent Lt. Wilcox and five men in a canoe down the Cahaba River to hasten the coming of the barge.  Wilcox reached the mouth of the Cahaba and proceeded down the Alabama River and on the evening of the second day after leaving four of six soldiers were captured by the Indians.  The Indians took the canoe and went down the river.

The barge passed the mouth of the Cahaba and knowing that Colonel Russell would not wait for it was on its return to Fort Claiborne when it came in sight of the Indian canoe.  The Indians, fearing loss of their prisoners, scalped and killed them at the sand bar at the mouth of Pursley Creek in present day Wilcox County.  Lt. Wilcox was buried with full military honors at Fort Claiborne on January 7, 1814.

During the early days when cotton was king there were over 50 boat landings along the river in this county.  The old paddlewheel boats took on cotton and passengers.  Now the principal cargo on the barges is timber products.

The first county seat was located in Canton Bend on the Alabama River, a few miles west of present Camden.  Later the seat was moved to Barboursville.  Barboursville’s name later changed to Camden.